Guest Transporters, Sky Boxes Among New Attractions at 50th Balloon Fiesta
August 30, 2022
New and returning special activities announced for guests of all ages
Albuquerque, NM – More than 600 hot air balloons will take to Albuquerque’s blue skies October 1-9, in celebration of the 50th Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, powered by ExxonMobil. While the balloons in-flight are always a sight to see, there are many new and returning attractions for guests.
- Fiesta Sky Box: The Fiesta Sky Box package offers a VIP experience for groups of up to 20 guests. The experience includes access to a specially outfitted shipping container that provides an elevated view of Balloon Fiesta, from a prime location on the launch field. Included for $5,000 is admission to the event, private access to the Box’s upper deck seating for balloon and fireworks viewing, seven premium parking passes, “Grazing Boxes” catered by Slate Street Catering and a host bar. Two Sky Boxes will be located on the north end of Balloon Fiesta Park.
- Balloon Fiesta Transporters Replacing the trollies: “Balloon Fiesta Transporters” will shuttle guests between the parking lots and launch field. The eight transporters will hold 23 people, are open aired, feature cushioned seats and will be pulled behind vehicles. More information about the transporters and their stops will be available in the Balloon Fiesta App.
- Looney Tunes Parking Lots: This year’s parking lots will be renamed and color-coded to coordinate with Warner Bros characters. In addition, Balloon Fiesta guests will be able to mark their location on the Balloon Fiesta App (Apple Store, Google Play) allowing them to find their vehicle after the balloon events have wrapped up for their session.
- First Balloon Fiesta Reenactment: During the opening ceremonies on October 1, 13 hot air balloons will launch immediately after the “balloons of the day.” The 13 balloons will honor the first Balloon Fiesta that took place on April 8, 1972. Commemorative event banners will be flown from each of the 13 gondolas, each honoring the original balloons and pilots including.
- Air Force Fly Over: The U.S. is celebrating its 75th anniversary this year and will help celebrate Balloon Fiesta’s 50th with an aircraft flyover during opening ceremonies on October 1. This is the first time the Airforce has allotted such resources at Balloon Fiesta.
- Breastfeeding/Baby Changing Stations: Three private stations will be made available for breastfeeding and baby changing. Working with the New Mexico Breastfeeding Task Force, Balloon Fiesta will offer three stations located in tents at Gate 20, Gate 32 and Gate 12.
- Surprise Ariel Event: Guests will be treated to a never-before-seen at Balloon Fiesta ariel show at 5:45 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday mornings as well as at all five evening sessions at 7:45 p.m. Details on this special display will be released on October 1.
- Balloon Glow: The events now known as balloon glows were invented in Albuquerque in 1979 when local pilots inflated balloons on Christmas Eve night as a thank you to local residents. The current world record of 142 hot air balloons was set March 1, 2022 in AlUla, Saudi Arabia. The smallest of the Balloon Fiesta’s signature Balloon Glows features 200 hot air balloons in static display. This record could be set and broken several times during the 2022 event on the evening of October 1, 2, 7 or 8. The largest number will be submitted to the Guinness World Records.
- RC Balloons: A twist on the traditional flights, this event forgoes the hot air and gas balloons to feature remote-controlled balloons. It is the largest gatherings of remote-controlled balloons in the world, 83 participants will showcase their mini balloons on October 2, 5 and 7 at 7:30 a.m.. Event organizers will be submitting paperwork to set a new Guinness World record for “Largest display of model hot air balloons”, the current record is 55 balloons set by a German enthusiast in 2015.
- Balloon Discovery Center: After a 2-year hiatus, due to COVID-19, the Balloon Discovery Center will be back. The center will feature educational and interactive exhibits for learners of all ages. Guests will be able to learn wicker weaving, the parts of an air balloon, the ins and outs of the Albuquerque Box, and more.
- Music FiestaTM: The music festival will be back after 2-year hiatus due to COVID-19. Three separate artists will take the stage in 2022’s Music FiestaTM. Restless Road, Lainey Wilson, and headliner, Cole Swindell are set to perform Saturday, October 8.
- Team Fastrax: The world’s largest professional parachute demonstration team will be back with more skydiving entertainment. October 1, 2, 6 and 8 evening sessions will feature the team’s signature midair jumps and precision landings.
- 25th America’s Challenge Race: One of the world’s premier gas ballooning distance races, this event crowns the balloonist who travels the longest distance. Nine teams will launch Saturday, October 1, at 6:00 p.m., weather permitting.
- Fiesta of Wheels Car Show: The annual car show and subsequent parade will kick off at 9:00 a.m. on October 2, the first Sunday of the Balloon Fiesta. Special interest, classic, and vintage cars will be available for viewing.
- Chainsaw Carving: Each morning, chainsaw carvers will take part in an exhibition, using chainsaws to transform ordinary logs into extraordinary pieces of art. Afterward, a live auction will be held to sell the new creations. Additional carvings will also be available for purchase.
- Fireworks: Each glow session will conclude with a showstopping AfterGlowTM Fireworks Show.
About the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta
The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, powered by ExxonMobil is a festival of hot air balloons that takes place in October in Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA. It is the largest gathering of balloons and balloonists in the world. The 2019 event generated $186.82 Million into the Albuquerque and the State of New Mexico economies. For details on events, schedule, entertainment and photographs visit our website www.balloonfiesta.com and follow us on Twitter @BalloonFiesta and Facebook.
# # #