Volunteering at the Balloon Fiesta
Become a Balloon Fiesta Navigator!
The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta is looking for upbeat, enthusiastic, caring people to join our team of Navigators!
Balloon Fiesta is large, complex event requiring the over 1,000 volunteers who help before, during and after the event. These volunteers, called "Navigators," are critical to every area of operations. They provide guest services, administrative services, balloon coordination and safety, set-up and logistics, and more in over 40 different areas. This variety of needs allows just about any person, with any skills, talents or interests, to experience Balloon Fiesta from a new perspective.
Learn more about volunteering at Balloon Fiesta at our "Volunteering FAQs."
Applications for 2019 are now being accepted. Application
Teams Needing Help this year are:
Balloon Discovery Center / Bike Valet / CDL Trolley Drivers / Concessions / Courtesy Shuttles / Entertainment Team / Glamping / Gondola Club / Greeters / Group Tours Hospitality / Information Booths / Merchandise / Music Fiesta Ushers ( Oct 12th only ) / Park & Ride Team / RV Team (workampers)
If you have any questions please reach out to Kim Judge the Navigator Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your interest! And thank you to everyone who signed up to help for 2018!!!!!!!
If you are interested in joining a chase crew for the 2019 Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, the application will be available online after July 1.
Balloon Fiesta contracts a number of local service organizations, such as the Civitans or Kiwanis, to manage areas such as parking lots, admission booths and merchandise sales. Those organizations then staff those areas with smaller organizations, who then receive a portion of sales proceeds from that area. This allows the smaller organization to fund-raise for various causes.
If your group is looking for fundraising opportunities, contact the Balloon Fiesta staff person listed below, and they will connect you with the appropriate management organization.
Admissions, parking and fee-for-parking
If your group would like to help in one of these areas, Dennis Christiansen,Transportation Manager, at (505) 821-1000 or email@example.com.
Selling souvenir and glow products via roving carts. If your group would like to help in this area, contact Erica Hahn, Concessions Manager, at (505) 821-1000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For other group inquiries, contact Navigator Coordinator, at (505) 821-1000, Ext. 117
Welcome to the place where Balloon Fiesta Navigators can find all the information pertinent to volunteering at Balloon Fiesta.
Log in to Your Navigator Profile
- Need to update your contact information, shirt or jacket size, or other registration data? Click here for your Navigator Profile
- Forgot your password? Click here for a Password Reset
- For a tutorial about how to use your profile, click here: Profile Tutorial
- If your team uses self-scheduling, you can view the self-scheduling tutorial here: Self-Scheduling Tutorial
Problems or questions? Contact Kim Judge Navigator Manager at (505) 821-1000 or email@example.com
- Please review the most current Navigator Handbook here: Navigator Handbook 12/2018
- To view the list of the 2018 Team Leaders and Staff Contacts, click here: Navigator Areas and Team Leaders 2018
- View full issues or individual articles from the most recent or archived versions of the Navigator News.
Navigators on Facebook
Join our new Facebook group: AIBF Navigators
This is a private group for current AIBF Navigators only. It's a great place to meet and engage with fellow volunteers, get event updates, and have fun year-round!
Below are the Basic Training videos and quizzes. Click on the name of the training and you will be taken directly to the video and quiz.
1. History of Ballooning - 2018 Video.........Learn the basics of hot air balloon flight and the
history of ballooning. (11 minutes)
2. History of Balloon Fiesta- 2018 Video...….Learn the history of Balloon Fiesta. (10 minutes)
3. Guest Service - 2018 Video...…. Learn the most important principles to providing top-notch guest (customer) service. (33 minutes)
4. Public Safety and Security- 2019 Video.....Learn how the Public Safety team ensures that Balloon Fiesta is one of the safest events in the country, and how you can help support their efforts. This training is required in 2019 and must be renewed every other year. (27 minutes)
5. 2019 Balloon Fiesta Event Information** - Get the latest details, specifics and changes for this year's event, such as prices, locations, etc. (available August 2019)
Don't forget to click on the quiz link in the video descriptions to get credit for watching these videos.
** This video is updated yearly and is required viewing each year.
Merit Classes are optional, "extra-credit" classes offered to our Navigators for a variety of reasons. We want to invest in you - to offer you additional skills to help you be a better Navigator and to give you training and education you can use in other areas of your life. These classes are free to Navigators who work a minimum of 5 shifts or 25 hours per year. For video classes, complete the video verification form for each video. Link to form is located in the YouTube video description.
Video Merit Classes
- Gas Ballooning for Navigators - A more indepth look at the world of Gas Ballooning with Barbara Fricke. (45 min) New June 2019
- Gas Ballooning 101 - Similar to Ballooning 101, but focuses on the sport of gas ballooning. (11 min)
- America’s Challenge - The history of America’s Challenge Event, Updated for 2018. (18 min)
- Advanced Customer Service - Learn techniques for dealing with Guest issues. New June 2019 (55 min)
- History of AIBF - A more indepth look at the history of the AIBF. New June 2019 (38 min)
In-person Merit Classes.
CPR Certification, First Aid and AED - This class offers full CPR certification. Classes are offered in spring and summer. The CPR Classes are available to Navigators and are offered in person in Albuquerque.
Other Merit Opportunities
Advanced Ballooning (Crew Training) Pick an option from the list below! You only need one to get the credit.
- Attend a AAAA (or equivalent ) Crew Seminar. Dates will be announced.
- Already BFA certified crew? Submit your certificates showing your level of completion
- Complete the BFA Crew Achievement paperwork and submit to us. NO BFA membership needed.
- Already a pilot? Submit your pilot’s information (copy of license and logbook entry of last flight review)
Submit all evidence to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject field please put Advanced Crew Evidence.
While Balloon Fiesta does not offer paid workamp positions, we have a team of RV volunteers who work additional hours and receive RV parking, and other benefits when a certain level of volunteer hours are reached. If you're interested in our workamp positions, please read the following requirements.
- Workampers will be required to work 51+ total hours per person, working 4-5 hours per day.
- Workampers will need to arrive on or around Labor Day and work through Balloon Fiesta for 2-3 days following the event.
- Workamper tasks involve physical labor, such as pulling weeds, moving stones and rocks, and picking up trash in order to prepare the RV lots for the event.
- During the event, workampers park arriving RVs from 8a-7p. Depending on how large the RV team is, the hours of parking may be split into shifts.
- Workampers must meet the basic Navigator training requirements, which consists of watching five videos, which each last less than 30 minutes. Each video is followed by a short essay question.
- Workampers who meet the above requirements will receive free RV parking.
Workampers also receive full Navigator packs, which include:
- Admission into the 9-day event
- Access to the Navigator Hospitality Tent for meals and snacks
- The current year's Navigator shirt
- Invitations to a variety of Balloon Fiesta parties
- The current year's Navigator Outerwear Item
- The current year's Navigator lapel pin
- The current year's Official Event Program
- The current year's Official Calendar
If you are interested in being part of our RV Navigators team, please contact complete the Navigator Registration and indicate that you are interested in workamping. Please note that there are a limited number of positions on this team.
If you have questions about the workamp positions, please contact Kim Judge at email@example.com.
LAUNCH DIRECTOR(S) - ZEBRA HERD