Launch site assignments are sent out on 9/2, the mobile app will also so all launch sites.
2023 Application details will be updated after this year's event.
Please visit the PILOT APPLICATION page for more details!
Attention all Balloonists...
While flying in Albuquerque or Rio Rancho anytime of the year, please be aware of the prohibited and sensitive zones, different classifications of airspace, aircraft frequencies needed for tower communication and the entry points to our local Pueblos and reservations.
This information can be found on the PZ maps that are provided on the PZ map page of this web site and the 2021 Balloon Operations Manual. Isleta Pueblo is located south of Albuquerque and not listed on the AIBF PZ map.
It is recommended that you contact a local pilot if you have additional questions regarding balloon flights in the area.
2022 BALLOON FIESTA
If you are interested in bringing a Special Shape for the 2022 Balloon Fiesta, please complete this link , no later than March 7th. Don't forget, this is not the pilot application, that must be completed separately. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Jennifer Garcia.
PILOT APPLICATION FAQs
Your Questions about the Pilot Application Process, Registration, Hotels and More!
For the 2022 event the pilot application will open on February 7, at 8AM Mountain Standard time.
An email will be sent prior to the application period explaining what is needed for the upcoming event year's application. Especially, as it pertains to your password and login.
All applications received by March 31*, will be considered for acceptance. Once the maximum number is accepted, no more applications will be processed.
You will need the following saved to the device as any of the following file formats, jpeg, jpg, pdf, you are applying from:
- Pilot Certificate
- Latest Flight Review
- Latest Medical Certificate (if applicable)
- Passport Number (if applicable)
- Balloon Registration
- Airworthiness Certificate
- Latest Annual Inspection
- Operating Limitations (if applicable)
- Insurance Information
You must have obtained your certificate prior to March 1st of the year in which you are applying for. You can have a change in rating after applying (Private to Commercial) and update your application.
All pilots will receive email notification of acceptance. Approvals rounds are noted on the application welcome letter. This year for 2022, it will be on March 25, April 22 and May 20.
AIBF does not maintain a waiting list. We expect the number of pilots at Balloon Fiesta to be approximately 600.
You will receive a refund of your application fee within one week after receiving notification that your application has not been accepted. This amount will be refunded to the card used originally to pay your application fee. If for any reason this account has been changed or closed, it is your responsibility to contact Jennifer Garcia with updated card information.
Your additional pilot will be required to complete the registration process. They will need to complete the following sections:
- Pilot Information
- Entry Agreement
One pilot will need to register, as the "Primary Pilot" and the others will need to be added as additional pilots following the steps listed under "How do I add an additional pilot."
If I have registered two balloons listing me as the primary pilot and I have an additional pilot, can both balloons be flown at the same time?
No, each primary pilot when approved is assigned a banner number. You only receive ONE (1) basket banner, which must be attached to the basket of any balloon flying from Balloon Fiesta Park during the event. If you wish to have more than one balloon, flying at the same time, a different pilot must be registered and approved as the primary pilot of one of your balloons. Your Insurance policy must cover two balloons in flight at the same time; this will be verified with the listed agency.
We are limiting the number of competitive balloons to 300. Once we reach that number, you may only register as a non-competitor! Changes to competition status can be made by contacting Jennifer Garcia. Changes will only be allowed until August 1.
Yes, the FAA requires that we confirm these documents every year to make sure that they have not been lost, stolen, damaged or expired. Per the new FSIMS, we are required to submit your documentation at least 30 days prior to the start of the event.
August 15, if not received by the deadline you will need to present all original documents to the FAA on-site before you can complete your on-site registration.
This year (2022) the on-site Registration will be Thursday, September 29 and Friday, September 30 from 10am until 7pm.* *Hours are subject to change on Friday, to allow the transition of the Sid Cutter to occur.*
Late registration will be available twice; once on Saturday, October 1 or by appointment. Registration will also be open Wednesday, October 5 for pilots participating in Special Shape Rodeo.
The registration process begins with each pilot viewing the safety video online or at the Official's Compound located just south of the Sid Cutter Pilots' Pavilion. Video showings on Saturday, October 1 and Wednesday, October 5, will begin promptly at 4:45am and 10:30am. You will not be able to participate in ANY Balloon Fiesta Events until you have completed registration.
Primary pilots residing more than 50 miles from Albuquerque are eligible for hotel accommodations or an RV site with electricity for up to 9 nights (in Friday before the start and out on the last Sunday).
- Once your event registration is approved by AIBF, primary pilots will receive an approval email with ‘Pilot Rooms’ and ‘Upgrade Premium Pilot Rooms’ links to access and complete their hotel reservation. If you choose any room on the ‘Upgrade Premium Pilot Rooms’ list, you are responsible for the additional nightly upgrade charges listed. You are responsible for all incidental charges incurred during your stay upon checkout.
- All hotel reservations must be made through HBC Event Services and all RV site reservations must be made through the AIBF RV Coordinator.
- Alternate Housing Program: Balloon Fiesta will provide $1,100 each to the first 60 eligible pilots who choose to secure their own housing/accommodations for Balloon Fiesta and not use HBC to secure their hotel room. The first 60 pilots to indicate they want to receive this Alternate Housing Program money will be based on the time stamp of their pilot application submission. If there are, more than 60 that want to participate in the program a waitlist will be created. Balloon Fiesta will provide the program money at Pilot Registration. Participants will be required to provide a W-9 form and a signed acknowledgement that Balloon Fiesta is not responsible for their accommodations.
- If you choose to stay at a hotel that has not been approved by Balloon Fiesta in advance, Balloon Fiesta will not pay any portion of your room charges. Exception only applies to the Alternate Housing Program participants who are paid directly.
- Please note that in order to occupy a hotel room you will be required to provide a "Major Credit Card" when you make your reservation and check-in at the property for any incidentals and/or additional room nights.
- If you do not use a hotel or an RV site and you inform Balloon Fiesta, in writing or by email to Jennifer Garcia by August 14, you will receive a refund of your pilot entry fee at Registration.
- Any hotel cancellations must be made to Balloon Fiesta Travel (HBC) using contact information provided on reservation confirmation form. You will be required to pay a $35.00 cancellation fee. If you cancel your Balloon Fiesta Participation after September 1, you may be responsible for all room night charges and the $35.00 cancellation fee.
- Balloon Fiesta attempts to secure a set number of Chase Crew hotel rooms each year, with that in mind we are trying to have enough lodging for everyone. Please note that Balloon Fiesta will limit the discounted Chase Crew rooms per Primary Pilot to two (2). Any additional rooms will need to be secured with the Additional Room link in your approval email.
Eligible pilots participating in only the Special Shape Rodeo will receive hotel accommodations for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, unless prior arrangements are made with the AIBF.
Pilots flying in the America's Challenge will receive hotel accommodations per Gas Event rules.
To cancel you must contact HBC Event Services at email@example.com or 505-346-0522.