Inside the Basket - Al Tetreault, Balloon Fiesta Board President
Al Tetreault has been a Balloon Fiesta Board of Directors member since 1991, and is Balloon Fiesta’s Board of Directors’ newly elected President.
In this month’s Inside the Basket, read more about Al’s proudest moment during his time with Balloon Fiesta, his favorite event memory and his top tips for first-time guests.
1. Give a brief overview of your Balloon Fiesta role and how you became involved with the organization.
My role as President of the Board is to provide the necessary leadership that reinforces and strengthens Balloon Fiesta as the premier ballooning event in the world and continue to promote Albuquerque, New Mexico as the Balloon Capital of the of the world.
In 1991, Jim Shiver (then President of Balloon Fiesta’s Board of Directors) asked me to become part of the Balloon Fiesta Board and develop a professional Public Safety unit to help protect Balloon Fiesta.
2. You first joined the Balloon Fiesta Board of Directors in 1991 and now serve as the President of that same board. What has been your proudest moment during this time?
I have had many proud moments, but to be elected, honored and trusted by my peers on the Board of Directors, as their President, is the pinnacle of all moments.
3. What are you most looking forward to, serving as the Balloon Fiesta Board of Directors President?
I am looking forward to making this 50th Balloon Fiesta, the best, the most outstanding and wonderful Balloon Fiesta, as well as working with my fellow board members to prepare the necessary groundwork and infrastructure for another 50 wonderful years.
4. What is your favorite Balloon Fiesta memory?
Most definitely, it was when my son Allen, who served on and led Balloon Fiesta’s public safety team, had prepared a Code 3, emergency vehicle return to Balloon Fiesta Park, after I left in an ambulance and spent the night in the hospital. Sirens, police and fire units led my return back onto the field with a full salute by all of the law enforcement and fire agencies working with Balloon Fiesta.
5. What safety tips do you have for first-time Balloon Fiesta guests?
- Remember to dress in layers.
- Drink a lot of water.
- Hold that child’s hand.
- Come to Balloon Fiesta preparing to have the most wonderful and fun time of your life with “the Gentle and Colorful Giants in the sky”.
Use this back button to return to the full list. If you want to preserve your filtered list, use your browser's back button and resubmit the form.