Inside the Basket - John Davis, Heritage Committee Member
February 20, 2018
John Davis is a member of the Balloon Fiesta Heritage Committee, as well as a co-author of a recent award winning book. As a Balloon Fiesta participant for more than 40 years, he brings a wealth of ballooning knowledge and experience.
This month’s Inside the Basket gives a look into his ballooning background and the co-authored book that paints the stupendous picture that Balloon Fiesta is.
1. Give a brief overview of your background and how you became involved with Balloon Fiesta.
I got involved in ballooning in the early ‘70s and then began participating in Balloon Fiesta in 1974.
2. What do you enjoy most about being involved with Balloon Fiesta?
Being part of it and watching it all come together on the first day.
3. You recently co-authored an award winning book titled “Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta.” What was your role and what is the book about?
My role in this book was that of an author. The book featured Dick Brown, Charlotte Kinney, Tom McConnell, Dick Rice, John Sena and Kim Vesely as my co-authors and is about Balloon Fiesta. It showcases the transformation of ballooning in Albuquerque from the 1972 balloon rally to the international event that it is today.
4. What was your favorite part about the authoring process?
I enjoyed both the writing and choosing the pictures.
5. The book was entered into the 2017 New Mexico-Arizona Book Awards. What awards did it win?
The book was entered into the 2017 New Mexico-Arizona Book Awards. It was entered into the Art/Photography and the Sports/Recreation categories. It was a finalist in both categories, and won in the Sports/Recreation category.
Categories: Inside the Basket