Know Before You Go - COVID Information: Status Update, September 1, 2021
September 1, 2021
The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta is continuing with plans to launch the 49th event on October 2, 2021. Based on recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and the current State of New Mexico Public Health Order pertaining to COVID Safe Practices, the Balloon Fiesta will require masks for all guests in all indoor areas and in crowded outdoor settings.
Balloon Fiesta’s main focus is staging a safe event for our pilots, balloon crews, volunteers and guests. Early last year, Balloon Fiesta started looking at a variety of scenarios based on the changing public health orders. Some of the changes include:
- Moving hospitality seating from indoor and tent areas to outdoor seating.
- Providing cashless options to purchase tickets.
- Spacing popular special shape balloons around the park.
- Increasing the number of hand sanitizer and hand washing stations.
- All restrooms will have hand sanitizer available inside the facility.
- Not conducting Music Fiesta for 2021 because of the close proximity of guests.
- Not conducting the Balloon Discovery Center because of its indoor nature and that it features activities with multiple touchpoints.
These procedures will be updated as they change.
Current COVID Safe Practices for the 49th Balloon Fiesta:
- Masks are required in all indoor areas.
- Masks are required in crowded outdoor settings.
- Masks are required for all passengers boarding enclosed Balloon Fiesta courtesy shuttles and park and ride buses.
- Increased physical distancing will be encouraged in all areas.
Masks / Face Covering Requirements
All face coverings (whether disposable or reusable) must:
- Be made with at least 2 layers of breathable material
- Fully cover the nose and mouth and secure under the chin
- Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
- Be secured with ties or ear loops and allow the Guest to remain hands-free
- Costume masks are not considered appropriate and are prohibited from being worn.
- Face coverings may have an integrated transparent plastic panel to aid in viewing the wearer's mouth. These face coverings should:
- Be a fabric face-covering featuring a solid plastic panel containing no openings that is attached to the fabric on all sides using tight knit stitching
- Meet all face-covering requirements listed above
COVID-19 Warning – An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present.
- Balloon Fiesta – https://balloonfiesta.com
- Visit Albuquerque – https://www.visitalbuquerque.org
- New Mexico True – https://www.newmexico.org
- State of New Mexico Public Health Order – https://cv.nmhealth.org/public-health-orders-and-executive-orders/